Simple Syrup is basically sugar and water. The reason why we use simple syrup rather than sugar is because, sugar takes time to dissolve in a drink especially in chilled drink. Most of the time the sugar will end up at the bottom of the glass. By using sugar syrup, it will help the flavor to mix quickly and evenly with other ingredient.
How to make Simple Syrup
- 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water in a pot. (Add flavoring ingredient if you are creating Flavored syrup)
- Bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Stir to prevent scorching.
- Bring down the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from hear and let it cool to room temperature.
- Strain out any solid piece and bottle the syrup.
This can be kept for 2-3 weeks in the fridge.